Monday, July 11, 2011

In Stitches

I've been a little worried about finding things to write about while we're here at the lake because I'm meant to write about things that are new or out of the ordinary this year, and the whole point of being at the lake is to have the same vacation I've been having for nearly 50 years. The comfort vacation. Tradition.

No problem coming up with a topic today, though.

The Jordans, who are friends from Utah, arrived today. They're visiting relatives outside Chicago and we invited them to stay with us here for a few days. So fun to have them! After waking up to a raging thunderstorm, by afternoon it was clear. A beautiful day to hang out on the waterfront. We spent hours swimming and chatting and relaxing in the sun.

Until we had to take Jaymon, the youngest Jordan, to get stitches. An injured foot, probably sliced open by a bolt on the swimming raft's ladder. Everyone swung into action, including cousin Oliver who ran to get a golf cart to carry him up the hill to the car.

As I drove Jaymon and his mom to the hospital, I realized that in 48 summers here I have never been involved in a medical emergency!

Jaymon was a real trooper.


While we were waiting for him to get his stitches (5 of them), I was reading an article in People magazine about Prince William and Kate's recent visit to Canada. I am still cracking up at this quote from the royal biographer: "She's a natural conversationalist, and that's no mean feat when you lunge into a crowd."

I'm going to have to figure out how to work that line into a conversation (naturally, of course). Seriously, I'm still laughing!

1 comment:

Robin said...

Great quote!

I love this picture. Especially because it has all that blood by his foot. He'll probably want a copy of that to show off. Five stitches? That's quite a nasty boo boo.