Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Change of Plans

I need to write and post this fast because there's a thunderstorm out there and I don't want to fry my computer (it no longer believes it has a battery and I can only use it plugged in).

We woke up to a crazy thunderstorm this morning, which meant that my sister Maryann and I could not hike around the lake, the second leg of my lake "triathalon." Rainy days at the lake always unfold in unusual ways, and today was no exception.

While I was waiting for the rain to stop this morning, I actually got some work that I brought with me from home done. Work! I try to avoid doing that here. When it stopped raining, Jack and I went to visit cousin Jody at her house and then we headed out on some errands.

In the village of Fontana a mile down shore we bought live bait from a vending machine and stocked Jack up with a couple of scoops of ice cream from Gordy's Bait Shop. Then we drove down to the city of Lake Geneva to return the shirt that I had bought for my reunion but wasn't really happy with and to buy Jack a Lake Geneva hoodie. Funny, both were the same price so it was a wash on my credit card!

Then we decided that we'd be spontaneous and bought tickets to go on the Lady of the Lake tour of Geneva Bay. We sat right at the open bow on the second level and enjoyed the cruise despite the fact that it rained on us a bit. We figured we'd get dry.

I was able to squeeze a run in before dinner and then a swim in the rain (no thunder and lightening, I promise!) with my sister Linda. After dinner, I went on a stroll down the shore path with my mom and then we enjoyed a nice breeze as we sat and chatted on the pier.

All of a sudden the sky lit up with lightening and we hightailed it up the hill to the cottage where we are once again cozy and dry. I will now unplug my computer and stick my nose in an old-fashioned book.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I am glad you outran the lightning.

Listening to the rain with my nose in a book is one of my favorite summer passtimes.

And when we took our cruise out to Alcatraz it was raining. We rode on the top of the boat anyway. We love rain! It meant we were kind of sloshy as we toured but it was cool. It kind of added to the atmosphere. I say, Huzzah to riding on a boat in the rain!