Saturday, July 09, 2011

Criss Cross

Jack and I made it all the way to the lake and it was all we could do to get the car and groceries unpacked before jumping into that refreshing water!

We got an early start this morning after a very pleasant visit with my friend Kim and her family. (We did meet at the Music Man cast party, and Kim even remember that the boy who was flirting with me was named Ralph. Ralph! How could I forget that name?!)

Then we stopped in Ankeny, Iowa, to have lunch with Roger's brother and his wife. It is always nice see them, and it was especially nice to see them twice in one week. They were just in Utah for the Fourth of July.

Once we reached northern Illinois, the GPS led us on a route I've never driven before. No amazing discoveries along the way, but it was nice to explore unfamiliar terrain during the last hour of the drive when we thought we were going to die of boredom!

While we were settling into the cottage, we discovered that my cousin Ellen and her family are staying next door. I haven't seen her in years and had never met her husband or children. What a pleasure it was to spend the evening catching up with each other. And what luck that I didn't decide to leave a day later when it was so hard to wrap things up and get out of town on Thursday. Ellen and her family are packing up and heading to the Badlands in the morning and we'd have missed crossing paths with them once again.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Staying in a cottage sounds nice. You really should make porridge while you're there and take a walk while it cools. And if you're really brave, don't lock the door while your gone. (Make sure to check the beds when you get back.)

Look! I'm all caught up!