Sunday, May 01, 2011

In and Out of Jams

It's a new feeling living in the world without Osama Bin Laden in it. It hasn't really sunk in yet. I'm watching a spontaneous gathering of crowds cheering on the streets of New York and Washington, DC as I write this. A profound sense of relief and national unity, though I'm not sure about feeling gleeful.

Speaking of Washington, DC, I learned something new today. I was reading an announcement in our church newsletter about our local cannery offering strawberry and marionberry jams in May.

I have never heard of marionberry jam. I thought, "The former mayor of DC is in a jam? Again?" Oh, wait. That's Barry, not Berry.

And then I discovered Robert Marion Berry, who served in the U.S. House of Representatives. Here's my favorite line from the Wikipedia page about him: "This article is about the former U.S. House member. For the former mayor of Washington, DC, see Marion Barry. For the fruit, see Marionberry."

So I saw Marionberry and found this impressive pedigree. I'm very curious now. I might have to order some of that jam.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I had no idea that fruit had such extensive geneology.

I'm also struggling with the celebrations of his death. While I believe the world is a better place without him, I just can't make myself joyful over the death of one human being at the hands of another. It feels like a vengence killing to me.