Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Portrait of the [Boy] as a Young Man

Now that he is 12, Jack will be attending the Young Men/ Young Women group at church. I'm excited for him to spend time with the older kids. Many great examples for him.

Jack's first night happened to coincide with a scout court of honor. He received his Second Class rank.

Roger is one of the leaders of Jack's age group. It looks like Jack will be setting a mature example for him to follow.

It's so fun to watch Jack grow up and have new opportunities, but it's a bit of a kick in the gut to realize that he's now 2/3 of his way to being an adult.

2 comments:

Uncle John said...

Who's leading who? Great pic!

Robin said...

That is a great picture. They are both lucky to be sharing this experience.

I often think about how different your life is from mine since you have one child and I have several. I can tell you I've envied you many times. How I wish I could give all my love and attention to each of my children instead of splitting it.

But as I looked at this I realized there is something that might be much harder for you than for me. By the time my son turned 12, I'd alread had three daughters go through the process. That softened the blow. And I still had one younger so it wasn't my last time with a primary aged child.

As I looked at this and thought of you I realized you have to adjust to having a child hit a milestone at the same time as the last one leaves things behind -- because it is the same child.

I don't know if I expressed this very well. Just know that my heart is going out to you tonight. I hope the adjustment is quick.