Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Past Is Gone*

I was the lucky recipient of an invitation to a ladies' luncheon in honor of my friend and neighbor Ora's 95th birthday today. Ladies' luncheons are very lovely, and this was no exception.

Our hostess had each of us take a coin from a dish, and we went around the circle sharing a bit about what we were up to the year our coin was minted. My year was 1985, the year I graduated from college, started grad school, worked in DC for the summer, and met Roger.

Everyone had something fun to share. In 1965, Dorothy's youngest child started school and her husband spent time commuting from their home in southern California to Palo Alto to help develop the communications system for the moon landing. In 1997, Shirlene's son Nick was born in Samoa. In 1999, Patrice helped an Albanian dancer get a student visa so she could study ballet, an opportunity that wasn't available to her in Albania at the time.

And our birthday girl? In 1976, Ora had recently retired from work and moved to Springville. She loved her house in California so much that she had the same house built here, except that the layout of the lot required her to build a mirror image. It took her a while to get used to living backwards.

*Title comes from the song Dream On, which I had a really hard time not singing out loud to when it played on my ipod during my walk today. Okay, I may have sung out loud a little bit.

2 comments:

Robin said...

It's sounds like a lovely afternoon.

And I love the idea with the coins. I'm going to think of that every time I notice the date on a coin. Okay, at least for a week or so.

NIblet said...

I like the coins, too. And cracked up about the reversed house, that would mess with your head for a while. (I wonder if she ever bent over and looked at it upside down/backwards, you know, just for nostalgia's sake?)