Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Amendment

I thought I might write about renewing a library book online for the first time today. Such a great thing to be able to do.

But then I did something far more interesting.

As a reward for stepping up to a challenge yesterday, I offered to give Jack a ride someplace he'd like to go. He usually picks somewhere he can go to get rid of money that is burning a hole in his pocket. Just like the last time, he wanted to go to the coin shop.

But on our way there, he changed his mind.

He wanted to go to Discount Guns & Ammo to buy brass cannon shells to add to his shell collection instead. We had to call Roger for directions because I'd never even heard of the place, which turned out to be deep in the heart of the East Bay industrial park.

Despite being married to a gun owner (who is also a registered Democrat; I adore complexity!), I don't usually spend time in gun shops. The closest I come is when we go to Cabella's, where I sit on a bench reading a book while the boys browse. And prettified Cabella's may sell guns, but Discount Guns & Ammo is the real deal. Let's just say I didn't tell anyone there that the library book I renewed this morning was Jimmy Carter's White House Diary.

Me? I suppose target practice is fun, but I'd rather whack a tennis ball. Same kind of satisfaction, it's a whole lot cheaper, and my right to own a tennis racket or carry it on my person is never questioned. As long as I'm a responsible player, of course.

1 comment:

Robin said...

My dad and brothers were hunters. I grew up with lots of guns in the house. Still, I think being in an actual gun shop would make me a bit uneasy.

So, did you eat your meat raw tonight? Just wondering how much testosterone was flowing in your veins afterward.