Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Dedicated

In the past few days one of my high school classmates and one of my neighbors lost their moms, one quite suddenly and one after a long struggle with her health. Their heartache became even more real to me when I got the news a few days ago that my own mother was in the ICU. She's okay now, home and on medication that should prevent further incident, but it has all been a stark reminder that life can be unpredictable and fragile.

Today I spent time working on Mother's Day gifts for three of our nephew's wives, who will be celebrating their very first Mother's Day as moms themselves. It was comforting to revel in the hope and joy and promise of their adventures with their growing families. It reminded me of the feeling I had on the Mother's Day just days before Jack was born, and how excited I was to know him and to be his mom.

Moms and their children. Children and their moms. Crazy, wonderful, life-affirming relationships that stretch our hearts in all sorts of ways.

Mom, this blog post is dedicated to you. Thank you for being so dedicated to our family, especially when we cause trouble. I love you and please stick around for a long time!

2 comments:

Robin said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom and to motherhood in general.

Happy Mother's Day, Margy.

Helen Schatvet Ullmann said...

Thank you, Margy. You are a sweetheart! I guess it's not my time to go. I have too many genealogy projects to finish. I think Heavenly Father is telling me to do more genealogy on our own family and a bit less of editing other people's work.
Love ya,
Mom