Saturday, April 30, 2011

When Old Becomes New


I brought back some of my favorite childhood books from my parents' house to share with Jack. He'll be the fourth generation to enjoy them! Many of the copies we have of the books in this delightful series by Thornton Burgess originally belonged to my Grammie and her sister, Aunt Fran, when they were girls nearly 100 years ago.

Jack and I are having fun reading them together (note: I will read to him until he goes to college if he lets me). Even though I read them at least million times when I was a kid, my memory is so lousy it's like I'm reading them for the first time.

Tonight we will find out how Danny Meadow Mouse escapes the clutches of Granny Fox.

2 comments:

Uncle John said...

Oh my gosh! I wondered what happened to those ... being the second of four generations mentioned. I particularly remember "Peter Cottontail" (I remember a song, maybe on a record? "Here comes Peter Cottontail, hopping down the 'something' trail.") and "Reddy Fox." I am delighted that they are in good hands and that Jack, and you, will enjoy them.

Robin said...

Such a wonderful experience to get to share with him. You're both so lucky.

My 16-year old daughter recently came into my room late at night and asked that I read A Separate Peace with her. It turned out that I read it to her. It's happened several times this year. It was truly a blessing as this daughter is less connected to us as parents than the rest. I'm grateful for those moments. Thanks for reminding me of that.