Monday, May 02, 2011

A Beginning

Two major family events + lots of cameras = a painful reminder that I live in denial. Time to make a change.

I am determined to run the Live wElle 5k, which was established in memory of a young girl named Elle by her parents, who are positively inspirational.

Today I checked out the 3.8 mile route I will train on until the race. It took me a few minutes more than an hour to walk it. Tomorrow I will start running part of it and work up from there.


While I have absolutely no claim on being consistent, I'm not a total stranger to running. I've even run a couple of 5k races before. A few years ago I ran the Live wElle 5k, and back in the late 90s I ran the Rex Lee Run.

One of my favorite memories of the Rex Lee Run was before the race. I overheard a couple of women talking in the restroom, and one very earnestly asked the other, "Do I look like a runner?" Boy, did I relate.

I want to run the 5k--not walk it. And I want to look like a runner doing it. Even for the cameras.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Best wishes to you.

I do not run. Running if something to do only if you are being chased by someone with a knife. And it had better be a big knife.