Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bread

As a reward for heading back to school after a two-week break without complaint, I took Jack to the coin shop so he could invest some of his money in, well, money.

But this post isn't about that kind of bread. This post is about the kind of bread sold at the bakery next door to the coin shop. The kind of bread I hardly ever treat myself to.


A few years ago, I read a book called Bread and Butter: What a Bunch of Bakers Taught Me About Business and Happiness about the founding and franchising of the Great Harvest Bread Co. It's a great read for business book junkies like me.

One of my favorite stories in the book is about a franchisee who wanted a challenge to put his meditation practice to the test, and he thought opening a bakery would fit the bill. If he could stay calm and centered operating a business that requires constant vigilance like a bakery, he'd prove something to himself.

Personally, I enjoyed meditating on a couple of slices of the bakery's new squaw bread (whole wheat and rye with whole oat grains sprinkled on top) along with a salad for dinner tonight.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I love bread fresh from the bakery. Yum. Reading business books? Not so much.