Monday, August 01, 2011

Karma

Frustration (and subsequently my tongue) has gotten me in trouble a couple of times in the last few days. Maybe it's because I've got a wicked blister on my toe or I've been in the sun too much or I haven't gotten enough sleep or I've succumbed to the high humidity here in the midwest. Or maybe I'm simply in need of an emotional growth spurt.

Today I headed into a four-day road trip with Jack, who desperately wishes we could just get on an airplane and be home in a few hours. After a rough go of things this morning, I made a conscious decision to try harder to send good energy out into the world.

Moments later I was pulled over by the police for speeding. (I promise I wasn't being a crazy driver. I was heading out of town a bit faster than the signs said to. Not 100 yards after I passed the officer, my speed matched the signs.)

I handled myself with great aplomb. Only a warning. Maybe I could make a karmic shift.

After a long afternoon of driving and a bit of sightseeing in Nauvoo, Illinois, we headed south to Keokuk, Iowa, to our hotel. The road hugged the shores of the Mississippi River, and we were blessed with this for miles and miles.


Yes, shift, I'm ready.

2 comments:

NIblet said...

The drive home always feels longer and slower. I hope you have other fun stops along the way. (I remember Nauvoo, and the bridge at Keokuk.)

Robin said...

The tough part about making a karma shift is that I have to do the work first, before I am rewarded. If only karma would go first.

Thank you for teaching by example.