Friday, August 26, 2011

Harvest

This afternoon I met an old college friend I haven't seen in at least 20 years in downtown Provo for lunch. As we walked back to our cars, we passed the old county court house on University Avenue, and my friend noticed that there were vegetables, including huge squash plants, growing among the flowers in the court house gardens. I'm very curious to know the story behind them, and I hope the fresh food they produce feed souls as well as bellies.

I so enjoyed catching up with my old friend, reaping the seeds of friendship we sowed all those years ago. And I'm thankful that we watered our friendship from time to time with Christmas cards and email messages.

This evening I got a call from a new friend--an 80-something neighbor I've known for only a year or two. She needed some help getting gas for her car. When we got back to her house, she asked me to help her carry in an enormous melon she'd bought from a roadside stand earlier today. She sent me home with some beautiful tomatoes from her garden.

My soul is well fed.



No comments: