Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Revised

I'm trying to cling to summer for as long as I can, but school is looming large.

After registering Jack for school yesterday, I headed up to Utah Valley University to pick up the books we're using this semester for English 1010: a new edition of the primary text and an updated handbook.

I did a quick review of them today, and I don't think I'll have to adjust my syllabus too much. Just a little extra work before the semester begins. I hope.

I'm happy to see the revised text still includes one of my favorite quotes from a professor of business management about how students need to learn how to "wallow in complexity" and then figure out how to work their way out.

We are expected to focus on helping students develop critical thinking skills in our freshman composition classes. I love that. It may just help them save the world someday.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I never thought about the teacher having to adjust to the new text, as I listen to people complain about having to get a new one. Thank you for giving me the other side.