Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Enterprise

Technically, today's trip to the new Western Metals Recycling facility in Provo's East Bay was our second, but since this is a post about recycling that somehow seems okay.

A couple of years ago, I offered Jack the income from our aluminum can recycling if he did all the work of taking full bags out to the garage, loading them in the car, going with me to drop them off, etc. Today's price was 65 cents per pound. Nice.

It is so much easier to take our cans to the new place. We can now also drop off paper and plastics there (though I still take our paper to the bin at Jack's elementary school--I understand it gets a teeny bit of money from that). Western Metals even collects donations for the Community Action Services food pantry.

I know our town implemented curbside recycling a few years ago so it seems a little nutty to put so much effort in. And if I ever hear that program is in danger of falling apart due to lack of participation, I will support it by signing up.

But in the meantime, I like supporting Jack's little enterprise.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I drove past and noticed that place for the first time today. How funny that your post is about it at the same time (even though I'm reading it late).

It's so wonderful how you teach by leading with your son. What a difference it makes when your actions match your words.