Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Schooled

Drove from Jefferson City, Missouri, to Denver, Colorado, today with two important stops.

The first stop was unplanned, but I was sucked in by signs on the interstate. I pulled rank as Mom to spend a bit of time at Monroe Elementary, one of the schools involved in the Brown v. Board of Education case.


Somehow it seemed fitting to snap a shot of Jack using the drinking fountain there. A little over half a century ago, that might well have been impossible.


The second was planned. We stopped in Manhattan, Kansas, to take my niece Saralyn out to lunch. She's spending the summer at Kansas State University doing research in a chemistry lab.


I might have gone my entire life without setting foot in Manhattan, Kansas. Thanks for the excuse, Saralyn! We enjoyed seeing you!

1 comment:

Robin said...

That picture of Jack by the sign and the one with the drinking fountain brought tears to my eyes. What an incredible thing happened there. How lucky you were to see it and feel of its presence. Thank you for sharing it.