Monday, February 28, 2011

You Can't Go Home Again

It's been nearly five years since we turned off the red neon leaf that hung over the entry of our happy, happy bookstore.

Today I went into the toy store that moved in after us for the very first time.

Five years ago I was unprepared for the emotional toll it would take on me to spend three months publicly dismantling our business, and I was even more unprepared for how lost I would feel for so long after it was closed.

Only recently have I felt I've begun to regain my footing.

So today, when Jack asked me to take him to the toy store because he knew they'd have what he was looking for, I took a deep breath and decided I was ready.

There was barely a trace of our old space. And it was okay! Truly, truly okay.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nearly 5 years, and yet so many of us wish the Read Leaf still existed!

Last summer I ate at our family restaurant in Idaho - and it hasn't been ours for 30+ year, with my parents and Jenna. It was weird - but OK, really.

Margy - Roger, the Read Leaf will always exist - thanks for the memories.

carolyn said...

What you described so well felt just like the grieving I experienced when my mom died. A year and a half later I was assigned to VT a lady in the same assisted living where she died and I had real anxiety about returning. But I did it and the lady is a gem who served 3 missions and has blessed my life more than I hers. Life goes on and we can make it great by serving :D

shelley said...

I remember when you switched off the red neon leaf! The Read Leaf was a happy, happy place, and my experiences there were some of the most influential of my young adulthood, and are a big part of who I am now!
I was just talking to Trev the other day about how I am in a way glad it closed when and how it did. Between all that Main Street construction a couple of years ago and the economic recession and how much small businesses are suffering currently, I'm glad closing The Read Leaf was in no way a forced decision. And at least the space is still a happy place! A toy store is so much more fun than say, a tax firm or something.
Our community misses The Read Leaf, but I agree with Ronda, it will always exist!

Robin said...

This makes me so sad. I miss your store. A lot.

In fact, when I opened a bookstore in CityVille on facebook I named it The Read Leaf. And it made me happy. I hope you will forgive my tiny tribute and not get angry that I stole your store's name.

Margy said...

Robin, that is the best compliment ever! Thank you!