Sunday, February 27, 2011

"It's a Major Award! And I Won It!"

Look what we have in our front window!

Sadly (because who wouldn't want a leg lamp in the front window?), it's only a temporary home for it. Roger will be sneaking it in to work early in the morning to surprise a coworker.

The leg itself, originally part of a full human form, was made for an exhibit at BYU that never saw the light of day. The reasons for that are shrouded in mystery.

Apparently all that remains is the leg. Which, of course, screamed "leg lamp"!

(If you don't know the hilarious origin of the leg lamp, click here to watch the clip from the movie The Christmas Story.)

So yesterday we went to Ikea and found a lamp on clearance, stopped at Hobby Lobby to pick up the gold fringe, then stopped by Roger's office to pick up the leg, which he had been storing under his desk for just this moment.

Roger put it all together in a complex operation that involved drills and wire splicing and hot gluing and a bit of physical pain. Et voila!

I wish I could be a fly on the wall when Roger's coworker discovers it on his desk. This is the stuff of leg-ends, er, legends.

5 comments:

Kazzy said...

I like this one better than most leg lamps I have seen! nice work!

Teresa Jordan said...

I drove by your house but I couldn't see it in the window!L.O.V.E. A Christmas Story. That movie is responsible for many sayings in the Jordan Family repertoire, such as...."Randy lay lay there like a slug; it was his only defense." OR "FA RA RA RA RA, RA RA, RA RA" and our personal favorite, "Merry Christmas, Kid. Ho. Ho. Ho."

Margy said...

It didn't last long in the window. Roger put it in the car to protect it from the cats. It looks a lot like their scratching post!

Ann Tolley said...

An abandoned leg made into an incredible workplace sculpture - this was so amazing it left me breathless!

Robin said...

We had a leg lamp award that was passed around at the work Christmas party every year. Glad I got out of there before I won it.

My husband loves that movie. Me, not so much.