Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dark Thoughts

A couple of days a week, I'm totally booked between 10:30 and 3:00 without any break for lunch. I've been on the lookout for snacks to pack along that are easy to eat and that will tie me over until I get home.

I found these at the grocery store today:
Low fat Quaker Oats dark chocolate cherry granola bars. Mmmm.

I grew up in a predominantly dark chocolate loving family and married into a predominately dark chocolate loving family. I will always choose dark chocolate over milk chocolate, and will generally pass on milk chocolate altogether.

A couple of years ago, I learned a good lesson about strong, enthusiastic family preferences and the pressure that can put on individual family members when Jack approached us very sheepishly with a confession.

"I like milk chocolate better than dark chocolate," he said. And then, encouraged by the fact that we didn't freak out, he went on. "Actually, I don't like dark chocolate at all. Is that okay?"

So okay! And however much I love it, I will always choose that boy over dark chocolate!

2 comments:

AmyF Hackworth said...

Ha! This is so cute. I hope you also savored that fact that his big confession in life involved a chocolate preference!

Robin said...

It's funny to see how different children feel as they start separating from their parents and choosing for themselves. He might not feel as sheepish when he disagrees with you at age 16. Savor this moment.