Wednesday, February 09, 2011

My Newest Oldest Hero

An ironic turn of events today in light of yesterday's post.

A few days ago, my 94-year-old neighbor slipped on the ice while she was getting her mail. Her back hurt a bit, but she thought she'd be okay. The pain, however, continued to grow to the point that she couldn't eat or sleep. She ended up in the emergency room this morning.

I stopped by the hospital to check on her after class this afternoon. Two bones in her back were crushed! Another neighbor and I kept her company until they wheeled her off for an ingenious surgical procedure in which an interventional radiologist uses a needle to inject glue to fuse the bones. If it works, she'll be in a lot less pain and walking out of the hospital tomorrow.

While we were waiting and chatting and waiting some more, we joked about the impact this injury would have on her golf game. I asked her when she last played. Turns out it was a mere three years ago, when she was 91!

And on top of that, when I helped her take off her socks, I discovered her toes were painted bright red.

I want to be like her when I grow up.

1 comment:

Robin said...

She's my new hero, too!