Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Test

My students' turned in their final research papers in class tonight. I've already been through most of them once, so I pretty much know what I'm getting into. I see the light at the end!

When I discovered it was an option, I decided to test out of freshman English in college. We selected a book to read from a short list, then under strict supervision with access only to our copy of that book, we were given one essay question and were expected to create a handwritten masterpiece in the blue books we brought.

I chose Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl because I'd read it before (and, so as not to appear too lazy, I knew it would be worth reading again). I don't remember the essay question I was assigned, but it turned out that passing the exam wasn't going to be a no brainer.

The English department had two readers evaluate the essay, and if there was a disagreement between the two readers, the department would have a third reader take a look at it. My first two readers disagreed. One thought I did a fine job; the other thought I hadn't answered the question. I was a little nervous, because I could see the second reader's point.

Thankfully, the third reader thought the essay was worthy of a pass. Whew!

1 comment:

Denise said...

I tested out of Freshman English as well. However, I did so with my Associate degree deadline looming and at risk of not graduating in time to get my RN license. I think I still have nightmares about that one!