Tuesday, April 17, 2012

High

Tonight we went to the Utah Symphony's Magical Music of John Williams concert, conducted by the charming and passionate Vladimir Kulenovic. They played pieces from Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Close Encounters, Superman, and, of course, Star Wars. My favorite piece, perhaps ironically, was the Shark Theme from Jaws.

We sat way up on the third tier, which gave us a marvelous view, but it took nearly half an hour for me to adjust to the height. I don't do very well with heights. And Jack leaning over the railing didn't help.


I first became aware that I had an issue with heights on a trip west we took the summer I turned six. We stopped in Aspen, Colorado, and rode a chairlift up to get a view. I was fine at first, but then we passed the first peak, the ground fell away, and we rode to the second peak at a height I'd never experienced before. It felt like my legs, and especially my feet, were going to fall off. No, no, heights are not my thing.

No comments: