Monday, April 23, 2012

Setting a Course

I was on the highway this evening, driving south from UVU, just before sunset. I had a broad view of Utah Lake, mountains and clouds glowing pink. Even though I've lived in Utah longer than I've lived anywhere else, the drama of the landscape still catches me by surprise.

Though I visited Utah the summer I turned six, I didn't have too many memories. So when I returned my senior year of high school it felt adventurous and new. Almost prehistoric. So unlike the gentle hills, woods, and meadows I grew up with.

Mom and I flew out, she to do genealogy research and me to stay with friends and see BYU as a prospective student. The entire weekend I was in awe of the mountains. I also had crazy amounts of fun with my friends, and I was asked out by three different boys. You know, all of the things upon which a sound decision about college should be made.

The other two colleges I was seriously considering were women's colleges in Massachusetts: Simmons in Boston (where a very good friend was a year ahead of me) and Mt. Holyoke (my mother and grandmother's alma mater). Both would have been good choices for me, but in the end the lure of being in a completely different environment 2,500 miles away from the security of home (and, okay, with boys) won out.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I've lived in Springville my whole life and I am still in love and awe of our mountains. We live in such a beautiful place. Thanks for the reminder.