Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Moving the Goalposts

I feel I need to followup yesterday's post with a little something just in case anyone was left with the impression that I primarily went to college to meet boys or if anyone leapt to the erroneous conclusion that I chose BYU to find a husband. I had all sorts of reasons for going to college, and dating--while fun--was not at the top of my list. I believe I was reared with good, healthy priorities.

Just before I left for school, my mom, a little worried that I was going to put boys at the top of my list, said, "I hope you'll finish your bachelor's degree before you get married."

When we were halfway across the country, she said, "You know, I wish I had gotten my master's degree before instead of after I got married and had children."

When my family dropped me off in Provo, she said, "I've been thinking. If you're going to major in psychology, you're going to need a Ph.D. to really do anything."

I ended up changing my major from psychology, so I no longer had my sights set on a Ph.D. But I did get my master's before I got married. And by the time I finally (per Utah standards) got married at 27, I think my mom was good and ready.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I wonder if she ever regretted those words as she waited patiently for her wonderful grandson.