Monday, April 16, 2012

Moving Up

This evening I picked up my class schedule for teaching next fall at Utah Valley University. They've got me assigned to two sections of English 1010 Introduction to Writing at exactly the times I need to fit with the rest of my schedule.

I started teaching as an adjunct instructor at UVU back in the early 90s when it was actually Utah Valley Community College. Even though my masters degree is in political science, I'd been working as a writer and an editor in the corporate world for five years and the college loved hiring people with workplace experience.

I taught for a couple of years, then left to do some other projects, then went back again for a couple of years in the late 90s. By then it was Utah Valley State College.

In 1999 we started our bookstore, so I left teaching again. This next week, I'm wrapping up the end of my fourth year back at the now university. Each time they re-hire me, I seem to get a "promotion" just by virtue of the fact that the school keeps evolving!

No comments: