Sunday, April 22, 2012

Solo

Two adorable children, a brother and sister, sang a duet in church today. They did a fabulous job; the congregation was charmed. I love that children have the opportunity to participate in our church services. 

I actually had a chance to sing a solo in church when I was 12. Because I was 12, I was no longer adorable. But I was still young enough that I didn't have to have a beautiful voice, just an earnest one.

My mom picked out a hymn for me to sing that she loved growing up--For the Beauty of the Earth--and it is one of my very favorite hymns to this day. (In fact, for anyone who might have to plan my funeral, this would be a nice hymn to include in the service. Especially if it is sung joyfully as indicated. To read the words of the hymn, just click on the image and it will get bigger.)


That was the only time I've ever been invited to sing a solo. I never developed a beautiful solo voice. But I am quite happy being a steady alto in a choir of voices.

No comments: