Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Order Amid Chaos

When I got home from Costco the other day, I realized that I couldn't fit everything I bought into the pantry (like, yes, an entire case of boxed macaroni and cheese).

Time to eliminate all excess packaging. Time to purge all expired food (um, chicken broth that expired in 2007? Ugh!). Time to impose some order on the rest.

This week has been full of uncertainty. Getting news about a cousin and his family in Tokyo after the earthquake--they are okay! Getting Jack's report card and meeting with his teachers--he gets all the concepts, but he, uh, needs to do more of the work to get credit for what he knows. And getting updates about my brother--still hospitalized and not recovering.

Yesterday, my parents and sisters had a conference with his doctors and some other hospital personnel about his condition, and the all-around report is that his situation is grim and could deteriorate rapidly.

Today, I booked a flight to Boston, finished reorganizing the shelves (look at all the extra space!), and took a load of cardboard packaging to the recycling dumpster at Jack's school.

Tomorrow, I fly.

I do not know what is in store for my brother or if I will get there in time to see him. I do not know how things will play out in Japan. I do not know if Jack will embrace the concept of turning in work to get the grades his mind is capable of.

But I do have an orderly pantry, an empty recycling bin, and a reservation for seat 13E.

2 comments:

Uncle John said...

Out with the old, in with the new, and organized to boot. How cathartic!
I remember, many years ago, when I went to church with you all (Honest, I really did!) and you gave testimony of your love for Robbie. I'm sure he knows that. Travel safe.
As for Jack's studies, I dearly wish I could put into words for him the joy I got when I finally learned to study hard, do the work and get the grades. I did it for me and am very proud of my 3 semesters on the Dean's List ... the good one, I mean.
Love you all, and Mac & Cheese too ... especially with hot dogs!

Robin said...

Great job on the pantry!

I can't imagine the turmoil you must be experiencing with your brother. My heart is breaking as your family goes through this. Still praying for you.

And I know what you're talking about with the boy. Even more frustrating for me were all those times when I worked with him to make sure he got it done and then he didn't turn it in. Ugh. We've made progress, but he's not really converted yet. And he starts ninth grade next year so it kind of really matters now. I wish you luck. Please do the same for me.