Wednesday, March 02, 2011

A Cow in Kenya


Well over a year ago, my niece Lauren sent a message out to the extended family asking us if we'd like to join a family team at Kiva, an online microfinancing organization. I quickly said "Yes!" because it was something I'd already been thinking about doing.

Fast forward (as only a serious procrastinator like me can do) to the present day and the fact that as of this morning when I woke up, I still hadn't followed Lauren's lead.

Shortly after waking, I read this article. Mohammad Yunus, a Bangladeshi economist and pioneer of microfinancing, has run into trouble. From what I can gather, he's being called on some possible technicalities, not on anything nefarious.

I have followed Mr. Yunus' work for a long time, and I decided that today was the day to honor his work and get down to business with Kiva.

I recruited Jack to help me find an entrepreneur to make a loan to. We decided to find someone in Kenya, thinking that might send some positive energy in the direction of my brother, who is still in a Nairobi hospital and unable to breath on his own.

We have officially thrown in with Mr. Mwangi to help him buy a dairy cow!

Update: The day after I posted this I learned two things. (1) Mr. Mwangi's loan was fully funded, and (2) After months of waiting for my brother's condition to stabilize and for everything to fall into place, arrangements were finally made to fly him by air ambulance from Nairobi to a hospital in Boston.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

You reminded me too. Going to make a choice and make a loan today. Wendy

Robin said...

Good karma is a good thing.

Continued good wishes for your brother and your family.

And good job with the cow!