Sunday, March 06, 2011

Five Things I Learned From Student Papers

I never know what I'm going to learn reading student papers. Here are a few tidbits from today's batch:
  • In Hawaii, people do not have to pay property tax on their cars. (Glad they get a break on something. I hear it's very expensive to live there.)
  • It is smart to wait an hour after exercising to eat. (Flips the old wives' tale on its head. I need to check into that one further. Could be onto something.)
  • Getting a college degree used to guarantee that you'd get a good job. (Really?)
  • Only 5.7% of nurses are men. (Source not cited, and not clear whether stat refers to nursing in the United States or elsewhere as well. Sounds about right for our neck of the woods, though.)
  • The president of Uzbekistan has a thing for erecting golden statues of himself. (I googled him and discovered that is among the least of his problems.)

2 comments:

joanM said...

but do they have cars to tax? when I was younger a family moved into our ward from Hawaii and one of the youth asked if they had cars there. The family member said, "no, we drive around in little grass huts" - I think she probably still gets teased about asking the question. But it would explain the tax situation :)

Robin said...

The temptation to google the president of Uzbekistan is almost overwhelming. Alas, it's almost 1:30am and I'll probably forget tomorrow.

I'll have to remain in the dark on this one.