Thursday, March 17, 2011

And We're Not Even Irish!

Everything went according to plan today with lots of serendipity thrown in for good measure.

Despite the fact my alarm clock went off later than I expected, I got to the airport in plenty of time. No lurid stories to report about airport security. No problem finding a spot for my carry-on in the overhead bins on a very full plane.

I sat in between two interesting people on the plane. I diligently graded three student papers, then gave up and enjoyed great conversation all the way to Boston. The man on my left works for a food wholesaler and was on his way to the International Boston Seafood Show. The woman on my right was on her way to visit her grandmother. At one point during some turbulence, she grabbed my hand and begged, "I know you don't know me, but do you mind?" When the plane settled down she let go of my hand, and laughed as she said, "The ironic part about being afraid of flying is that I'm an aerospace engineer." Turns out we're booked on the same flight back to Salt Lake City on Sunday.

Even though we were late taking off, we landed a little early. Dad pulled up to the curb just as I got there, and we took the scenic route to the hospital, right through the heart of St. Patrick's Day celebrations around Faneuil Hall. We enjoyed our own little private parade when a troupe of bagpipers played as they crossed the street in front of our car.

We found a parking spot straightaway at the hospital and headed up to see my brother Robbie, who is still hanging in there. Mom showed up, then one of my sisters. My parents' bishop came and he and Dad gave Robbie a blessing. Jack called when he got home from school (his braces are now off!), and Roger called to make sure I got there safely.

It was too hard to tell if Robbie could really understand us. He didn't open his eyes, but he did move his head. I hope he knows we were all there. I hope he knows.

When I got ready to settle in for the night, I realized I forgot to pack pajamas. Mom produced a nightgown for me. Of course it was fine. The luck of the Irish was with me today.

I hope it's with Robbie, too.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I hope so, too.

And what a great flight -- a stranger held your hand for comfort. That would totally make my day.

Teresa Jordan said...

My thoughts and prayers are with your brother (and you!). I'm glad to hear he is in Boston now and hope all will be well. I didn't realize he was still having such a struggle. I'm so sorry.