Thursday, March 03, 2011

Handwritten

On the way in from the school bus, Jack grabbed the mail for me. As he walked up the front steps, I saw him holding an envelope of Valpak coupons and a giant flier from Brent Brown Chevrolet.

"Ugh. So boring!" I whined.

Jack plopped the mail down on the coffee table. And then I saw the corner of a white envelope peeking out from the middle of the stack.

A real letter! So rare! (Thanks, Carolyn!)

The immediacy of the internet is fabulous, but I truly love getting real letters, especially when they're handwritten. My far-flung friends and I used to correspond like mad well into adulthood. Great, great memories.

And way, way better than stacks of coupons for oil changes, carpet cleaning and dental services.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

You inspired me again. We're in month 3 of actually moving into our new place and I just dug into a box yesterday with actual letter-writing stationery. I set it aside with some crazy notion of actually writing a letter. Today I will. Keep it coming, Margy - yesterday a woman in Kenya benefited from your nudge to get me to move on the Kiva loan thought. Good stuff.

Robin said...

I don't act on the impluse to write an actual letter nearly often enough. Or thank you cards.

But you are totally right. There is something so satisfying in knowing that someone took the time to do it the old fashioned way (you know, the right way).