Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cancelled

A few months ago I started doing something really smart. Jack and I always get our hair cut at the same appointment, but we'd always end up being pretty shaggy by the time we went. I'd only remember to call for an appointment when the salon was closed or our stylist wasn't working, and we'd end up waiting too long between appointments.

One day while we were getting our hair cut, I asked if we could make our next appointment right then. And we did! We don't get as shaggy now that I don't have to remember to make appointments in a timely fashion.

Today I picked Jack up at school for our scheduled appointment. Just as we were leaving, he said, "I can't get my hair cut because I'm one of the Beatles."

"No, he can't get his hair cut for two more weeks," said his teacher.

The sixth grade is doing a Music Through the Ages performance on April 4th, and, yes, Jack is one of the Beatles and must sacrifice for his art, even it it means getting shaggy.

I was the only one to get my hair cut at today's appointment.

1 comment:

Robin said...

We've sacrificed for art in this same way. My son wasn't allowed to get his hair cut when he was in Robin Hood the Musical and my daughter had to wait to dye her hair until she was done playing Alice in Alice in Wonderland. Both worthy sacrifices.

I'm usually just shaggy because I'm slow scheduling or don't want to throw down the money for some good work. It's a good thing I have long hair; I wouldn't do well with a high-maintenance do. I frequently go six months between cuts.

Now do you feel better?