Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Electives

During the last period of school today, Jack and I attended an assembly about class registration for eighth grade. His elective choices included band, chorus and exploring technology. The counselors also had the students write down careers they've been thinking about. Jack wrote jazz musician (a lovely idea, but maybe not too practical).

One of my favorite electives in junior high was mechanical drawing, and I dreamed about becoming an architect one day. I designed a triangular house for the class (a creative idea, but maybe not too practical) and wrote a report about Frank Lloyd Wright.

I didn't grow up to be an architect, but I do spend a good deal of mental energy thinking about how spaces work (or don't work) for people. I believe good architectural design can change the world.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I'm glad you didn't become an architect. I think you fit right where you are.