Friday, February 17, 2012

Changing Gears

When I was 16 and learning to drive with my permit, our family owned one car with an automatic transmission (a giant gray station wagon that we dubbed the Elephant) and one car with a stick shift (a bright yellow Pinto hatchback).

First I learned how to drive the automatic. Of course.

Then on New Year's Eve, I asked my dad if he would take me to a party at a friend's house. He said he would, but only if I drove and we took the Pinto. Way to throw me in the deep end.

I did pretty well until we got to the center of Chelmsford, where I needed to pull out of an intersection on a slight incline. It took a few tries, but then the whole clutch/accelerator thing suddenly clicked for me, and I connected with driving on a whole new level.

From that day forward, I've chosen stick whenever I can.

1 comment:

NIblet said...

I learned in our VW bus, and when me and my mom were picking up my dad, there was a pretty steep incline into his work, and you had to stop at the security gate. MAN, that was so hard to manage! With the girls, I took them to the high school parking lot in off hours. We aimed DOWNHILL to start off with, so it was easier to get going. Learning a stick is an interesting rite of passage, methinks.