Sunday, February 05, 2012

The Calling

Substitute teaching Jack's Primary (Sunday School class) 8 or 9 years ago

I got a new job at church today. In the LDS church most of us have jobs--known as callings--that we're asked to do. We usually get swapped around to different callings every year or two. It's often a bit of an adventure, a stretch outside our comfort zones.

Over the years, I've done all sorts of things. Teaching adults, teaching teenagers, teaching kids, hanging out with the really young kids in nursery, putting together monthly newsletters and typing up the Sunday bulletins, organizing ward activities, being in charge of girls camp, and so on.

Today I found out I'll be working with the teenage girls as the secretary in our Young Women's organization. I think it might be the best job yet: I get to hang out with truly awesome people and I will be the adult leader with the very least responsibility.

3 comments:

JumpingJeri said...

That is awesome! Those girls are soooo lucky to have you!!!!

Robin said...

I'm in Young Women. I have been surprised by how much I love it.

I bet you'll be a fabulous secretary. And that the girls will love you.

I hope you find much joy and satisfaction as you serve.

Book Look Column Author said...

The hardest easy calling you'll ever have! You are about to enter another time zone (evenings and Saturdays), and possibly another planet (where teen girls live). You'll be great!