Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Roots

One of my fondest dreams is to see as many corners of the earth and meet as many interesting people as I can before I die. But I also love reaching my roots deep into our own community. When we come together, we are truly greater than the sum of our parts.

Until this week, I had no idea that we had a special needs baseball league, and that we could volunteer to be buddies with the players. Our neighbor is working with the league for his Eagle Scout project and invited us to come help. What a joy to spend an hour celebrating every hit and run regardless of team.


After we got home, we walked to the Arts Park for the first day of the Art City Days carnival. Actually, we went specifically for the Kiwanis Club scone booth. Not a new treat, but an only-once-a-year treat. (And yes, perhaps eating out, but for a very good fundraising cause!)

Even though we walked to the park, we couldn't rationalize having homemade root beer with the scones. But while we stood in line, we enjoyed watching Jay Knight, Kiwanis Club president, making it.


Other booths we visited included the "will you support the pool and recreation center bond election in November" booth (yes!), the "will you help support the renovation of the old performing arts theater on Main Street" booth (yes!), and the "do you want to subscribe to the new town newspaper that has risen from the ashes of the old newspaper we are still mourning" booth (yes!).


Even though the town pool was already in desperately poor shape when we moved here 17 years ago, and even though the bond election to replace it could go either way (sadly my vote will only count once no matter how passionately I cast it), we made an extraordinarily good choice to put down roots in a community like this.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I was so excited when I read that there would be a new Springville paper. Can't wait!

And there have been times when, due to schedule, we've had to miss most of Art City Days. But we drove over to the carnival and waited in line for those scones. I'm fairly certain that if we miss those scones June will spontaneously combust.