Monday, June 13, 2011

Pure Space

I finished re-reading Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea this morning during Jack's swimming lesson. Yes, I have read it before, so it isn't new to me. But I have never read it as a middle-aged woman before, and it's the kind of book that reads differently when one reads it at various life stages.

Here is a passage that particularly struck me this time through. I want to remember this as I stick my toes into that pure space I already see opening up before me.

For is it not possible that middle age can be looked upon as a period of second flowering, second growth, even a kind of second adolescence? It is true that society in general does not accept this interpretation of the second half of life. And therefore this period of expanding is often tragically misunderstood. Many people never climb above the plateau of forty-to-fifty. The signs that presage growth, so similar, it seems to me, to those in early adolescence: discontent, restlessness, doubt, despair, longing, are interpreted falsely as signs of decay. In youth one does not as often misinterpret the signs; one accepts them, quite rightly as growing pains. One takes them seriously, listens to them, follows where they lead. One is afraid. Naturally. Who is not afraid of pure space--that breath-taking empty space of an open door? But despite fear, one goes through to the room beyond.

But in middle age, because of the false assumption that it is a period of decline, one interprets these life-signs, paradoxically, as signs of approaching death. Instead of facing them, one runs away; one escapes--into depressions, nervous breakdowns, drink, love affairs, or frantic, thoughtless, fruitless overwork. Anything, rather than face them. Anything, rather than stand still and learn from them. One tries to cure the signs of growth, to exorcise them, as if they were devils, when really they might be angels of annunciation.

4 comments:

carolyn said...

LOVE it. My mom loved this book!

Kristine said...

What page is this? I need to mark my copy. Exactly the quote I need for this summer

Margy said...

Hi Kristine! Toward the end of the chapter called "Oyster Bed" - page 78 in the 50th anniversary edition.

Robin said...

So beautiful. I will definitely be spending some time pondering these thoughts.