Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A New Mission

The-one-who-knows-me-so-well, aka my husband, brought home a book from the library today and introduced me to a Japanese business I had never heard of before: MUJI.

Before I die, I must see a MUJI store in person.


Here is a quote from the first essay in the book: "MUJI's [design] concept of emphasizing the intrinsic appeal of an object through rationalization and meticulous elimination of excess is closely connected to the traditionally Japanese aesthetic of 'su'--meaning plain or unadorned--the idea that simplicity is not merely modest or frugal, but could possibly be more appealing than luxury. . . . Our products, which we think of as 'mature' or 'ripened,' are the fruits of exchanges with our customers over many years."

Not fancy, not cheap and shoddy, just well designed, well made and useful.

And the cherry on top? They've partnered with LEGO.

1 comment:

Robin said...

This sounds right up my alley. I can't wait to check it out.