Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Input Requested

No promises, but I just might be cooking up something new, and I want to know what you think about it. I'm in the very, very early stages of the project, gathering information, talking to key people, and trying to decide if it's even feasible, especially whether the city will go for it.

Here's the idea in a nutshell: The old Springville city building and library is slated to be torn down next spring. Before that happens, what if we invited a whole bunch of artists to stake out territory in the building, let them work their creative magic, then open it up as a temporary art exhibition. If we can pull it off, we might even be able to turn it into a fundraiser for projects like the new library and the Rivoli theater renovation. And we could make a documentary along the way, something that would last.

Today I met with Adam Price, the director of the Salt Lake Art Center. In 2007, he put together Project 337, which is the basic inspiration for my idea (though I imagine it would unfold quite differently in our community).


Adam gave me a good sense of what organizing it all involved (by the end, after this video of the project in process was filmed, 150 artists participated!), and even though it sounds exhausting, I think it would be amazing!

What do you think? (And would you want to help?!)

3 comments:

NIblet said...

I cannot help from down here, but I think the idea is brilliant!! May I share your post with other friends I have in UT? Perhaps they have friends who would like to be involved.

Graciesmom said...

I love that idea!! My sis in law is an artist and would probably love to be involved. I can't create art but I love it an would be happy to help.

Robin said...

May I just say, sometimes reading your blog is exhausting. I have difficulty fathoming your energy. It amazes me!

And I think it's a great idea. Best wishes.