Thursday, January 26, 2012

Seeing More Clearly

Jack is trying out contact lenses. As soon as we got home from the eye doctor, he begged to take them out. Time for tough love. I told him he had to keep them in until 7:00. He didn't take them out until 7:30. Good job, Jack.

I started wearing glasses in the fourth grade and didn't get contact lenses until I graduated from high school. Of course, back in those days we didn't have disposable lenses and we had to be extra careful with the one pair we'd get. I'm much more willing to let a 12-year-old get contacts knowing that he'll get 12 pair to last all year.

When I was a little bit older than Jack, my mom took me to my yearly checkup with the eye doctor, and while he was examining my eyes he asked me if I used drugs.

"What?!" asked my mother. She was alarmed.

Apparently my pupils were very dilated, and the doctor was suspicious. The answer was no (I have polygraph results to prove it), but if it was yes, I can't imagine saying so with my mother in the room!

1 comment:

Robin said...

Yeah, I think most doctors as smart enough now to know that a kid isn't going to 'fess up in front of a parent.

Ever wonder why they were so dilated? I think if this happened to me my life would become a science project trying to find the answer.