Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Crammed

I had one of those packed, logistically challenging days.

Dropped Jack at school at 8:00, got ready for work, met with two inmates at the jail, drove to UVU to listen to a live recording of Radio West (yes, I got to hear Doug Fabrizio say "and then we'll invite you to join the conversation" in person), totally miscalculated how long it would take to hike back to my car which was in the hinterlands (and being waylaid by an instructor acquaintance who felt moved to recite a lengthy poem for me didn't help), was late to a meeting with the marketing director of the Mountainlands Applied Technology College and people from the Department of Corrections workforce development program, headed back to the UVU campus after filling up the car with gas and filling up my belly with a sandwich, hung out in the faculty lounge in the library preparing for class, stopped by the English department to photocopy some handouts, chatted with another instructor who totally validated one of the new teaching strategies I came up with yesterday when she mentioned something she learned at a recent conference, taught from 5:30 to 8:15, walked out to the hinterlands to find my car, realized that no, that was where I had parked earlier in the day, backtracked to my regular parking area, headed home, got lost in thought and missed my exit, finally made it there just after 9:00.

Phew. But I love cramming it in like that from time to time!

One of the most complicated trips I remember taking was a combination of friends' weddings and law school visits back in the late 80s when I was thinking about going to law school. All within the course of a week, I had stops planned at the University of Michigan (but I missed a connecting flight for that), Omaha (wedding), Connecticut (Yale), upstate New York (wedding), and Chicago (Northwestern). I can't remember exactly what order I went in, but I do remember flying through the Cincinnati airport four times.

Phew.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Now I need a nap.