Monday, January 16, 2012

Roots

I'm watching a reunion interview with actors who appeared in the mini-series Roots. It seems like a very appropriate thing to do as this Martin Luther King, Jr. Day winds down. When Roots aired in early 1977, I was 13 years old and I remember being completely glued to our little black and white television, watching the entire series.

I was not alone. The final episode ranks as the third most watched television show in the history of U.S. television, beating out every single Superbowl.

Even with my terrible memory, I can remember many scenes and how they made me feel. I know that I was influenced on a very deep, formative level. In a very real sense, the story rooted itself in me.

1 comment:

NIblet said...

I still have a TV guide interview given by Hailey, his journey to find his family was just so amazing. IMO he was led there by God, opening up the concept that even slave descendants could trace their roots. And they really did a great job on the mini-series.