Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Hanging Out in D.C.

Political geek that I am, I enjoyed watching the president's State of the Union speech tonight and was reminded of the very first time I voted in a presidential election. It was 1984, and since I was doing a college internship in Washington, D.C., I cast an absentee ballot from my home state of Massachusetts.

The ballot came with a thin sheet of styrofoam that was meant to be placed under the ballot so that when I punched holes with a pin to indicate my selections, they'd be more likely to go all the way through the paper.

At that point, the idea of a hanging chad hadn't yet entered the nation's consciousness. In retrospect, I hope my votes counted!

1 comment:

Robin said...

I voted by absentee ballot the first time as well. For me, it was because I was in a PoliSci class at BYU and helping with exit polling all day. No punching, just pen and paper for me.

I didn't get to watch it due to YW duties, but I hope to catch at least some of it online.