Sunday, April 10, 2011

Eating up Words

If I had to pick a favorite book genre, it would be the memoir. I love learning about people and the context of their lives. I think it's especially interesting to read about them in their own words. What they choose to focus on, what they choose to ignore, and how they express themselves is so revealing--more revealing than they probably intend.

Earlier today I caught a podcast of an interview with journalist Peter Godwin about a book he wrote called The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the Martyrdom of Zimbabwe. His insight is unique because he grew up there.

As I listened to the interview, I became as intrigued by the interviewee as I was by the topic. I googled him and discovered he recently wrote a memoir called When a Crocodile Eats the Sun: A Memoir of Africa.

Impulse buy.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Sounds like a good one. You'll have to report later.