Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Who's Afraid?

Sorry I'm going to be a little cryptic in this post, but I want to write about the best thing that happened today.

A few weeks ago, I started a new library board assignment at our city library. I'm working with one of the librarians to expand adult programming, especially after we move into our new library building next fall.

One of the ideas we're working on is a lecture series to introduce readers to genres and authors they want to try but might be a bit intimidated by--poetry, classics from various eras, Shakespeare, Transcendental writers like Emerson and Thoreau, and so on. Maybe even some Beowulf or Virginia Woolf.

I want to find fun and interesting people to do the presentations, and I immediately thought of two of my favorite young adult writers to kick off the series for us. I asked them if they'd be willing to do a tag team presentation on reading that has stretched them in unexpected ways or opened new worlds for them.

While I can't reveal who they are until everything is finalized (they should speak sometime in January), I can say that as of today they both accepted the invitation and Springvillians are in for a real treat!

1 comment:

Robin said...

Ooo. Very exciting. Can't wait. I'm dying for the new library, of course. I drool a little bit every time I drive by the work in progress. I long for it even more every time I go to our current library and see the plastic tacked up to keep the rain out. :( On some level I will miss our library because I grew up there. Seeing it fall apart kind of helps let go, like when your pet can no longer function without pain and it's easier to put them down. It's time to put our library out of its misery.

And I prefer to think of myself as a Springvillain.