Monday, March 26, 2012

Turning Water into Whine

We're talking about elements of argument and what constitutes sound logic in my UVU classes this week.

The first argument I heard and recognized as illogical was at Camp Arcadia in Maine, where my parents were counselors the summers I turned 3, 4 and 5. I was too young to be a camper, so I was put into a group with other counselor's kids. We were called Cubs, and we did all sorts of activities while our parents were working. Mom was a sailing counselor and Dad taught waterskiing.


Every day we had rest time, and there was a strict rule that we weren't allowed to take a drink from the water fountain right before we rested. The rule didn't make sense to me, so one day I complained. I was told that we couldn't take a drink because then we'd have to use the bathroom when we were supposed to be resting.

Even as a little kid I knew that water didn't go through a person's system that fast.

No comments: