Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Such a Sacrifice


My family took a trip to Mexico when I was in grad school. We stayed in a small fishing village called Akumal on the Yucatan Peninsula. One day we drove down to the ruins at Tulum. The tour guide picked me to sacrifice on the altar. It's funny to think that I probably ended up in the vacation pictures of some of the strangers who were on the tour with us.

Favorite adventures on that trip involved scuba diving, which I highly recommend and which I haven't done enough. On one of the dives we went down about 80 feet. The ocean floor was a tangled mass of coral. All of a sudden there was a giant sea turtle right in front of me. I tried to swim after it, but I even with my flippers I was clearly no match for something so powerful and awesome. I didn't have a camera with me, but my memory of it is picture perfect.

2 comments:

Kazzy said...

Scuba diving = creepy to me. But I know people fall totally in love with it. Maybe my mind could be changed.

Robin said...

You were chosen to be sacrificed on the altar -- that's seriously cool!