Friday, March 30, 2012

As Women's History Month Winds Down

When Roger and I got married in 1990 we moved to our house in Highland, Utah, and I went out to get us set up with utilities. During one of my stops, I was totally caught off guard when the woman behind the desk started off by asking for my husband's name and not my name.

I asked her why, and she said, "Well, that's the name we'll put the account under."

"Why not my name?" I pushed back.

She explained that just wasn't the way they did things. Suddenly it became a serious matter of principle, and I needed to take a stand. I insisted that the account be put in my name. After all, I was the one setting up the account, and I would be the one writing the checks.

Egalitarianism 1, patriarchal bureaucracy 0.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I also got married in 1990. I set up the utilities. And I got the same line about my husband. I didn't push. I just walked away, shaking my head at the old lady behind the couter clinging to an antiquated idea.

Today, I would probably push.