Sunday, March 18, 2012

Can Can, Maybe Still Can?

For three years in elementary school I took dance classes at the Phyllis Richards School of Dance in the basement of a church in West Acton. Ballet, tap, and jazz.

My second year our class performed the Can Can. In addition to our regular recital, we took our act on the road to the army hospital at Fort Devens. The Vietnam War was still going on then.

I think our performance went alright, but at some point I lost my garter. It slipped right off my leg, probably while I was kicking my heart out.

I didn't realize it was missing until we were leaving the stage, so I had to run back out to get it. Let's just say the wounded soldiers went a little nuts, hollering and whistling. And let's just say I played right along, flipping my little skirt up as I turned and ran back off stage.

I'll bet that girl is still inside me somewhere.



2 comments:

Uncle John said...

Seems you have a way of tossing garters around. I think I have a white one somewhere that I caught at Sundance.

Anonymous said...

Definitely still can! A little flirting, a little dancing... as Gertrude Stein said, we are always the same age inside.