Sunday, March 11, 2012

Dear Diary

Some friends and I were laughing about our old journals this afternoon, so I decided to pull mine out and look through them. The earliest one I kept starts halfway through 8th grade. And I actually began each entry with "Dear Diary."

Some random quotes:

Monday, March 21: "I wish Mr. C. [music theater] saw me in the road show because he thinks I'm an idiot with no spirit."

Monday, April 4: "Mr. H. [metal shop] is such a jerk. I did a perfectly good job of welding and he still won't grade me."

Thursday, May 5: "I think P.T. has a crush on G.J., but I think he sort of likes me. I don't mean to sound conceited and I could be totally wrong, but it's the way he looks at me. I hope he doesn't ask me to the dance. I mean I hope he asks me, but I can't go."

Wednesday, May 18: "I found out G. asked P. a week ago. What about me?"

Friday, May 27: "We didn't get our tests back in math so I have to suffer until Tuesday, I skipped lunch, and J. said my pants were too short."

Monday, June 27: "Why me? I'm only 13 years old. Why am I going through this? I never act right. I never know what to say. Nobody has invited me anywhere for who knows how long. I'm stuck with a brother who embarrasses me to death, a mother and father who say I'm lazy and I never do anything for other people so they want me to wash windows. How pathetic can you get? I even have a best friend who hates my guts (I think). I'll show everybody. By the way, I went to see The Sting and it was excellent."

I'm so glad we don't have to live through junior high twice.

2 comments:

Kazzy said...

Oh, the drama of a thirteen year old girl! :)

Robin said...

It's easy to poke fun at ourselves, looking back. But in that moment your heart was overflowing. Those things mattered.

I try really hard to remember that when dealing with teens saying similar things. Maybe I know it will seem silly to them in years to come, but I hope I show adequate respect for their feelings in the moment. Feelings matter.